eye dialect

Mon Mar 26 13:08:48 UTC 2001

>I am happy to have this difficult to attribute status.

No, of course we can't provide these 'levels' since they do not form
such a neat continuum. After the neuro-cognitive existence of the
idiolect (the only 'physical' fact), language diversity is enormously
overlapping and at least as dependent on sociopolitical and
psychjological factors for its at6tributed 'boundaries' as on
'actual' linguistic diversity, as the 'ausbau' crowd has always known.

When I don't know what I'm talking about, I always use 'variety.'

dInIs