Y'all and No?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Mar 29 16:08:51 UTC 2001

>1) I have been occasionally hearing non-southern young people (mainly
>college students) use "y'all" as a second person plural the way
>southerners do.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is it spreading?

I use it routinely, and I have done so for 40 years or more. I'm not alone.
I'm not southern. I'm not too young. Here in Pittsburgh the standard is
"you-uns" or "yinz", but I've encountered "you-all"/"y'all" frequently even
here, from older and younger persons of various origins. I think it may be
increasing.

>2) I have also heard non-Latino students use "no?" in the way it is used
>in Spanish ....

I've heard it -- occasionally -- for as long as I can recall, and not only
from students or 'Latinos'. It seems natural, no/right/eh? I think it may
be increasing.

-- Doug Wilson