"Jazz" and invitation

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Mar 29 16:27:01 UTC 2001

Dear Jonathon Green,

    I would welcome an exchange of information with you.  My e-mail
address is given just above.

    Might I also suggest that there are many other people in the
American Dialect Society who are interested in slang and that they
too would welcome an exchange of ideas with you. Why not sign up for
the American Dialect Society  e-mail messages? Our group thrives on
the input of many scholars and educated laymen, and what one person
doesn't know may be known by someone else.

    BTW, I have a few extra copies of a recent working paper I
compiled entitled "Jazz Revisited; On The Origin Of The Term" (72pp.;
with due credit given throughout the article). Particular credit goes
to Peter Tamony, Dick Holbrook, Barry Popik, and, of course, to the
1913 sportswriters of the _San Francisco Bulletin_. If you send me
your snail-mail address, I'll be happy to send you a complimentary
copy.

    Meanwhile, come on in. The water's fine.

---Gerald Cohen