Y'all and No?

Buchmann buchmann at BELLSOUTH.NET
Thu Mar 29 22:52:50 UTC 2001

There is a peculiarity about the Southern use of "you all" / "y'all"
which most 'Yankees' seem to miss -- it is NOT directed to a
single individual BUT to that individual AND his ( extended /
invisible / not present ) kin. There are many people these days
who have been born in the South but who are not Southern
nationals [ => unbroken maternal descent since before the
WONA]. These people repeat what they hear without
understanding it, often getting meanings reversed.