Bukhara carpets

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 4 08:03:03 UTC 2001

   Greetings from ancient, historic Bukhara.  The computers in Uzbekistan, when you can find then, are slow.
   Tajikistan is off limits to Americans, but a traveling companion who's been to 200-plus countries said we're going there, even if we have to stick our toes in and then turn around.

BUKHARA CARPETS--Famous the world over, but they really come from Turkmenistan.

WHITE GOLD--Cotton.
BLACK GOLD--Oil.
BLUE GOLD--Gas.
SOFT GOLD--Silk.

MEDRASSAH--I've seen this also as madrassah (an Islamic school).  I haven't checked the OED's treatment.

MAQBARASI--OED?

JUST TWO, NOT MORE--A Soviet "joke" from waiting in line for supplies.  Our tour guide used this expression.

UZBEK NATIONAL COOKBOOK--That's the only one I see available for sale.  It's three dollars everywhere, but I bought it at a special price--just for me--at the hotel for eight dollars.

BARF--A brand name for a detergent from Iran.  Barf gets things clean!