Bride-Elect

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri May 4 17:05:56 UTC 2001

John Baker notes:

        And, of course, there is Gilbert's use of "mother-in-law elect" in
The Mikado (1885).
<<<<<

I was sure I remembered that, too, but all I could find was
"daughter-in-law elect". Here's the beginning of the song that uses the
phrase (found at http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/libretto.txt ):

                      DUET--MIKADO and KATISHA.

MIK.           From every kind of man
                    Obedience I expect;
               I'm the Emperor of Japan--

KAT.           And I'm his daughter-in-law elect!
                    He'll marry his son
                    (He's only got one)
               To his daughter-in-law elect!

MIK.           My morals have been declared
                    Particularly correct;

KAT.           But they're nothing at all, compared
                    With those of his daughter-in-law elect!
                         Bow--Bow--
                    To his daughter-in-law elect!

ALL.                     Bow--Bow--
                    To his daughter-in-law elect.

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com