gobdaw (fwd)

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Tue May 29 20:43:08 UTC 2001

A comment from a friend and colleague and Irishist... if that's a word!?

David Bergdahl          Ellis Hall 366         Ohio University / Athens
Associate Prof/English  tel:  (740) 593-2783   fax:  (740) 593-2818
                        bergdahl at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
                    http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~bergdahl

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:42:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim MacKillop <mackillj at yahoo.com>
To: bergdahl at ohio.edu
Subject: gobdaw

David:

I'm returning the entire message for reference.

Although all are terms of derision found in Ireland,
gob/gobshite are unrelated to gobdaw.  I have come
across both in writing, in dramatic dialogue, etc.,
but I have heard only gob/gobshite in speech.

gob is regional British English that has migrated to
Ireland.  It originally means "beak," and by entension
it signifies "mouth" in a disparaging sense, e.g.
"Shut yer gob!"  Gobshite is the equivalent of
"shitface," though with perhaps less force.

--

I cite Bernard Share, SLANGUAGE--a Dictionary of Irish
Slang (Dublin: Gill & Macmillan, 1997), p. 113, for

Hope this does it,

Jim MacKillop