Elephant Ears (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 31 17:40:44 UTC 2001

   Greetings from the New York Academy of Medicine Library, on Fifth Avenue and East 103rd Street (next to the Museum of the City of New York)(www.nyam.org).  They have some very rare cookbooks here...I've been waiting an hour for my next book!  I gotta see that 1922 medical article on female impersonators!
   The following book was microfilmed by the NYPL, but that reel is missing.  I'll post part of the book--the long-sought "elephant ears," which the author places in the midwest.

NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR COOK BOOK
THE AMERICAN KITCHEN
by Crosby Gaige
Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc., NY
1939

Pg. 115:
   ELEPHANTS' EARS
   Beat three eggs, add pinch of salt and a tablespoon of milk.  Mix very stiff with flour.  Pinch off a piece about the size of a walnut, roll out very thin, fry in deep hot fat.  Serve with hot maple syrup.