Chicken a la Creole (1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 31 17:57:27 UTC 2001

   Oh, for heaven's sake, I'm still waiting for my books here...Here's a "Chicken Creole" recipe.  It's not in the OED.  Does this place have DARE?

MME. BEGUE AND HER RECIPES
OLD CREOLE COOKERY
Sothern Pacific Sunset Route
1900

Pg. 51:
CHICKEN A LA CREOLE
   Clean and cut up six young chickens, sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry in hot lard.  When done put in a dish and set aside.  And now start your sauce.  Fry an onion and add flour for thickening.  When brown add a can of sweet peppers, let fry a little, then add the tomatoes and a few bay leaves and sprig of thyme.  When the sauce is done throw in the fried chickens, but do not let the whole boil long.