Halloween pronunciation

Thu Nov 1 19:38:22 UTC 2001

I suspect it's (at least in part) because no one knows the origin of the
term anymore.  "hallowed," "all hallows," "e'en," etc.--what the heck do
they mean these days?  I sometimes explain the All Souls/All Saints thing
to my classes (while dressed in a witch's mask and cape), and it's news to
almost everyone (except the occasional Latino/a, who knows about the Day of
the Dead).

"Hollow," on the other hand, is a familiar word--so it becomes a hollow
evening?!  (Not here in Athens, Ohio, world's capital of Hallowe'en
frivolity....)