Halloween pronunciation

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Nov 2 18:49:50 UTC 2001

I think we're focusing on the wrong thing in trying to solve the Holloween matter.  It is
much more likely associated with what is happening in the articulation of /l/ in
contemporary American English -- stronger velar and lighter apical constriction.  A
strongly velarized /l/ mitigates against the production of a preceding front vowel.

DMLance