Halloween pronunciation

Fri Nov 2 22:08:46 UTC 2001

Backwards you have it. In the NCVS the /ae/ vowel (of "cat") moves
forward and up (to the /e/ of "bet" or even to the height of the /I/
of "bit"). I hear Halloween around here (Lansing, MI) as "Helloween"
or even "Hillloween" all the time. They are all, however,
underlyingly /ae/ pronunciations.

dInIs