Halloween pronunciation

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OHIO.EDU
Mon Nov 5 18:56:01 UTC 2001

--On Monday, November 5, 2001 2:12 PM -0400 sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
wrote:

> Do those who say Holloween also say "hollowed be thy name"?   (If, of
> course, they have occasion to say it at all!)

Although originally a HAL-speaker, I must admit that 33 yrs in the Midwest
have changed me into a HOLLOW-speaker (I also say "app-a-LATCH-un" half the
time now).  I think the 3-syllable HAL-uh-WED pronunciation of "hallowed"
militates against the tendency to say "hollowed" as I would, for instance,
in reference to the 2-syllable "hollowed walls of ivy"