Halloween pronunciation

Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM
Tue Nov 6 19:31:15 UTC 2001

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> /sEd/:

At 11:57 AM -0500 11/5/01, Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM wrote:
>For that matter, what do others call that vowel? I use the names
>
>      long A    cake
>      short A   cat
>      broad A   father

ditto, except I also call the middle one "digraph".  and the last is
often called "script a", from the IPA symbol.
<<<<<

I know too many digraphs to be comfortable with "digraph" as a name. It has
its own name, "ash", as in the tree (and homophonously the residue of
fire), from Old English, and I sometimes use that.

[Cat Faber (www.echoschildren.org) wrote a song about the lost letters of
English titled "Yogh and Ash and Thorn", to the tune by Peter Bellamy for
Kipling's "A Tree Song", which Bellamy recorded as "Oak and Ash and Thorn",
downloadable in RealAudio format from
http://www.bens.connectfree.co.uk/pb/TRACKL.HTM .

[http://www.bens.connectfree.co.uk/pb/KIPLIN.HTM also has a link at the
foot of the page to download a RealAudio clip of the song, but the page
itself has a sound clip of a monologue or interview, which you have to shut
up by switching away from the page itself if you want to hear the music!

[And that's digression aplenty.]]]

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
             http://world.std.com/~mam/filks/filks.html