nucular and Latino

Wed Nov 14 23:39:24 UTC 2001

Paul,

Nonsense. I didn't say I liked Spanglish (or disliked Spanish or
English). I cited some linguistic and sociocultural facts about it.
When I say what I like and don't like (and I really dislike the sound
of Northern Cities Vowel-Shifted speakers, like fingernails on a
blackboard) I am completely aware of the, as you suggest,
unscientific nature of such comments. But I got 'em.

On the other hand, if you think Spanglish is "less expressive" or
"rich" than Spanish or English, you are just plain old wrong,
although your unscientific emotions may lead you in these direction.
Let's take just one (silly) example. How could Spanglish (which has
the lexical resources of Spanish and English) be less rich in its
vocabulary? Looks like it could be (potentially) twice as rich. Gonna
be a little harder for me to find a scientific correalte for
"expressive," but, given a day, I can handle it.

dInIs

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston