"call a spade a spade" furor

Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM
Thu Nov 15 15:41:28 UTC 2001

Larry sez:

As for spade-calling, my favorite on this is the folk etymologist who
published an ad in our local advertising weekly in 1995 that read

SR. CITIZEN KITTY needs loving home, spade, all shots, healthy.
I've been a good kitty & promise to be a purr-fect pet.  Please
call ____.  Love Kitty.

I didn't call to determine if the spade kitten-emeritus in question
was neutered, black, or both.
<<<<<

I like the bumper sticker

     I <SPADE> MY DOG

-- X (his Mark)

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com