"call a spade a spade" furor

Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM
Thu Nov 15 15:48:15 UTC 2001

Bethany opines:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, James A. Landau wrote:

>Many years ago (quite possibly in 1936-1939) the _Courier-Journal_ in
>Louisville, Kentucky, had a then-politically-correct house policy always
>use the term "War Between the States" rather than "Civil War."  This
policy

I liked RIM's "late unpleasantness" myself.
<<<<<

RIM? Who he? I know R.E.M. (and U-2), and RAH (Robert A. Heinlein -- on
rec.arts.sf.written I wouldn't have to spell it out, but here I don't
assume familiarity with science fiction authors), but not RIM.

I've also heard that expression. I found it useful in the weeks after 9/11.

-- Mark

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com