amber & dork

ANNE V. GILBERT avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Thu Nov 29 19:24:37 UTC 2001

Jonathan:

> Dork once (late 19C-1930s) meant a thick slice of bread and butter but I
> doubt that even the most dedicated anti-foodie could call that 'risque'.
> What I asume is its risque meaning stems from the slang use of the word to
> mean a penis, which seems to have emerged in the 1960s and is cited in
> American Speech (39:2 p.118) as 'probably Midwestern'. It is paired with
> _dirk_ and is a. one of those terms in which the penis is equated with
some
> form of stabbing instrument and b. a 'penis term' that is also used to
mean
> a fool. The ety. may also include the influence of another popular slang
> penis-synonym with a 'd' initial, _dick_.

Tha'ts approximately when I heard it, but during that period, it never
achieved widespread popularity, at least not among anyone of my age at the
time(which was pretty young).  Then next time I heard "dork" was my
daughter, describing, a somewhat foolish person.
Anne G