Jackleg

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Oct 1 15:10:03 UTC 2001

Okay, I won't complain about "suggered" in my digest. (It sounds like what
I forgot to do to my coffee this morning, anyway.)

But please, PLEASE, *P*L*E*A*S*E* get the H**L (the asterisks stand for T
and M) and the full quoting out of your posts! You just gave us about 35
lines of post (1324 bytes), including the necessary header and signature
section, accompanied by about the same amount of quotation of the post you
were answering... and then the whole thing repeated in HTML, adding about
50% for the formatting code, adding 115 lines (4,424 bytes). The net result
was a post more than four times the size of the useful content.

And then you gave us a two-line correction ("suggered" / "suffered" and
quoted your own entire previous post, with all the bloat, adding another
225 lines (8,496 bytes) to the digest.

Maybe you don't see the duplication of the HTML and the plain text in your
mailreader; probably not, since it seems to attach it automagically. Lots
of us do.

I have great respect for the content and style of what you post. I like you
and hope to meet you in person some day. But will you please get rid of the
electronic equivalent of a cubic yard of styrofoam peanuts with your
letters? Talk to your MIS/tech support people if you need to.

(Copy of the two posts, with HTML modified to escape reinterpretation by
dInIs's evidently HTML-friendly//////// fanatical mailreader, appended in
private email to dInIs, but not to the list.)

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com