LS-MFT

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Oct 5 15:13:23 UTC 2001

My recollection of the Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to War campaign is that
the slogan was voiced (or printed) for weeks ahead of its explanation.
This was intriguing to kids, who made up a large part of the audience for
Hit Parade, which Lucky Strike sponsored.  We were willing to believe that
the "green" was essential to the war effort in some way.  (The green and
red packages were actually much handsomer than the brash new red & white
ones, in my opinion, but, as Vance Packard would later assure us,  not
nearly as grabby.)  When LS  MFT  (spoken like two eighth notes, tiny
pause, then triplet) came in later, the same strategy was followed.  We
heard it for weeks before it was explained, giving us lots of time to
invent our own meanings.
The earlier slogan  LS had used with great success, "So round, so firm so
fully packed; so free and easy on the draw" was naturally taken up to
become part of all sorts of ribald patter.
A. Murie