Taco (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 6 18:43:21 UTC 2001

   I went through this book before, but didn't post this at that time (believing that there were earlier citations for "taco").
   Maybe now Taco Bell will feature me in a commercial instead of Jeff Bezos, although he gives you more gas.

RAMONA'S SPANISH-MEXICAN COOKERY:
The First Complete and Authentic Spanish-Mexican Cook Book in English
Edited and Modernized by Pauline Wiley-Kleeman
(No other publisher given)
1929

Pg. 84:
   TACOS AND TEQUITOS
_Gorditos_
(...)
(Pg. 85--ed.)
_Pork-Tacos, Tacos de Puerco_
(...)
_Cream Cheese Tacos a la Mexicana_
(...)
_Egg Tacos a la Guanajuato_
(...)
(Pg. 86--ed.)
_Mexican Tacos_
2 lbs. of stem cooked and shredded pork, mutton or goat.
24 tortillas
1 cup minced onions
4 pods minced green chile
2 cups red fresh tomatoes, diced
2 diced avocadoes
4 tblsps. minced coriander
Salt to taste
   Mix onions, tomatoes, chile, avocadoes and coriander well together, add salt to taste.  Heat tortillas, fill each one with meat, add two spoons of sauce mixture to each, roll tight, fasten with toothpick, serve hot.
_Taquitos a la Mexicana_...