Taco (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 7 07:09:33 UTC 2001

   "Taquitos" is probably correct.  Assume it was a typo.  I was typing quickly in a reserved timeslot in the NYPL.  I couldn't copy the book because the cover came off and it's in poor shape.  If you want another recipe, tell me again and I'll revisit the library on Tuesday (closed Sunday and Monday for Columbus Day).

OSSO BUCO (continued)

   Again, OED and M-W both have 1935.
   The dish is in THE ART OF EATING WELL ("Italy's most treasured cookbook") by Pellegrino Artusi.  This was published in 1891, but translated in 1996 and published by Random House.
   Pg. 214:

   _OSSO BUCO_
   Since this is a specialty of Lombardy, it's best left to the Milanese chefs.
(Five-paragraph description--ed.)

(Left-hand column, smaller type, by the translator--ed.)
   _Ossi buchi_ are a Lombard specialty, and the Milanese treat them somewhat differently...

PAPA'S TABLE D'HOTE
by Maria Sermolino
J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia
1952

   About a NYC Italian restaurant.  Not too much here, though.

Pg. 50:  ..."chin-chin"--a northern Italian toast comparable to "cheerio"--...
Pg. 88:  ...a _caffone_, meaning loutish, uncivilized, rough-mannered.
Pg. 100:  ...a parade with a lot of _caffoni_.
Pg. 160:  ...there was an antipasto of hot boiled zampone (a sausage stuffed in pig's trotter)...
Pg. 163:  He preferred the thin kind of spaghetti, _spaghettini_...
Pg. 164:  At papa's table, risotto was served in four different ways: 1) _al bianco_, that is, white; 2) _a la finanziera_, with a garnishing of coxcombs and cock's testes sauted in butter; 3) _a la milanese_, with saffron; 4) _con tartuffi_, with truffles.

DUST OF NEW YORK
by Konrad Bercovici
1919

   David Shulman told me that he went through Bercovici, but I gave this and his AROUND THE WORLD IN NEW YORK (1938) quick checks.
   "Afghian," a chapter title, is possibly of interest.

Pg. 197:  THE TRAGEDY OF AFGHIAN'S LIVING RUG.

NEW YORK WITH ITS PANTS DOWN
by D. F. Karaka
Thacker & Co., Bombay
1946

Pg. 13:  ...Noo York.
Pg. 26:  NEW YORK taxis are "the best in the world."  "Best in the world" is just another way of saying they are American.
Pg. 40:  "Horseshit" is the American equivalent of the Indian word "Cowdung."  It is strong slang.
Pg. 51:  This was Joe E. Lewis, an entertainer.  Joe said he had graduated with a D.D.T.--Doctor of Delicatessen.
Pg. 70:  Well, shrimp is holy in India.  Holy shrimp!  Yes, that's right, like Christians say Holy Mackerel!
Pg. 95:  ...Fiff Avenoo.

GRAFFITI A NEW YORK 1968-1976
by Andrea Nelli
Edistampa--Edizioni Lerici
1978

   In Italian.  Here's a brief look at the glossary.

Pg. 57:  _Glossario_
animation...
artist...
bad--belissimo.