Dollars to Doughnuts

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 9 16:43:50 UTC 2001

> Dollars to doughnuts...3:1 odds these days if we're talking about actual
> doughnuts...although not too long ago it was more like 5:1 odds...

I'd give it even less.  To me (and my roommate, and likely our generation)
they've always been real donuts.

Case in point (not with dollars, but with diamonds):

On "Ducktales" (the Disney afternoon cartoon with Uncle Scrooge, Hewy, Dewy,
Louie, etc.) they had a five-part (i.e. week-long) story involving Uncle
Scrooge going back in time to re-claim a diamond mine (this is the movie
where Bubba, the cave duck was introduced).
Anyway... at one point Uncle Scrooge and his Enemy (whose name I can't find)
say this:

Uncle: "I'll bet diamonds to donuts that [you're] behind this!"
[Enemy]: (inexact quote) You win the donuts, but I win all the diamonds!

And then there's some mention that they are actual donuts.  I wish I could
find the exact quote, but "Ducktales" scripts are hard to come by and my copy
of the movie is at my parents' house.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale