Speaking of double determiners

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 17 04:18:30 UTC 2001

>From a posting on rec.sports.baseball:
> I like when he compared Jeter's play to _Montana's_ Drive.
>
> For one thing, that was Elway.

I didn't hear the comments, but I can tell you that Montana had a "The
Drive" which won a Super Bowl.

> For another, Jeter's play DID NOT WIN
> THEM THE SERIES.

Montana's "The Drive" did win his team a championship.  By the way, Elway is
usually credited with two "The Drives", one of which was in a divisional
playoff game.  Another little known fact is that Dave Krieg had two "The
Drives" in the NFL playoffs, although his hype machine wasn't nearly as loud
as Elway's.

> The Drive won the Broncos the AFC. Jeter's play played
> a part in winning game 4 of an ALDS.

Elway's "The Drive", necessarily, was less of an accomplishment than Jeter's
catch, since football is by several orders of magnitude more a team game
than is baseball.
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu