More Bang for the Buck (1953)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 17 06:14:05 UTC 2001

   I'm up to 1954 with the New York Herald Tribune.  I have six more years in the 1950s and the war years in the 1940s still left to read.
   Unfortunately, I'm not getting paid, and I won't have time.

MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK

   The RHHDAS cites Safire's POLITICAL DICTIONARY (1968), which explains a 1954 date.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 21 December 1953, pg. 18, col. 6:

_MATTER OF FACT_
By STEWART ALSOP
   _The Bang and the Buck_
(...)
   This "bigger bang for the buck" theory was not, to be sure, the only factor in the proposed cutbacks.
(...)(Col. 7--ed.)
   They believe that the "more bang for a buck" theory is an excuse for the cutbacks, rather than a real reason, and that the "buck" came first by an easy margin, with the "bang" a poor second.

SUMMIT MEETING

   I haven't seen "summit" yet, but it's been close.

NYHT, 10 November 1953, pg. 14, cols. 3-5:  The editorial cartoon says "HIGH LEVEL TALKS--CHURCHILL MALENKOV MEETING."

NYHT, 9 December 1953, pg. 42, cols. 3-5:  The editorial cartoon has a "BIG 4 MEETING" at the bottom of mountains, while "WHOLE RANGE OF INTERNATIONAL ISSUES" form a surveying party at the summit.

SAYINGS OF THE YEAR

   The title for some of the following, from the NYHT, 2 January 1954, pg. 8, col. 4:

I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos.--_Albert Einstein_.

(Col. 5--ed.)

There is a saying that I try to live by--always take your job seriously, never yourself.--_President Eisenhower_.

SMAZE

   OED basically has this.
   From the NYHT, 21 November 1953, pg. 1, col. 7:

_"Smaze" Pollutes_
_City's Air 4th Day_
   The polluted combination of smoke and haze--described as "smaze"--sitting over the New York area yesterday for the fourth straight day...

(Photo caption is "'Smaze' over city"--ed.)

MISC.

YAMBURGERS--The title of a "From Clementine's Kitchen" column, THIS WEEK, NYHT, 10 January 1954, pg. 37, col. 1.

SAND-WITCHES--NYHT, 29 October 1953, pg. 16, cols. 1-3: "_Try Goblin Salads and Sand-Witches_."

RESTAURETTES--Not in Mariani's AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK.  From the NYHT, 18 November 1953, pg. 20, col. 7: "We were in one of the Chock Full O'Nuts restaurettes where they take their coffee in the serious style it deserves."

DRUNKOMETER--An early breathalyzer.  From the NYHT, 30 October 1953, "'Drunkometer' Tests to Start Nov. 15," pg. 11, col. 4: "The 'drunkometer' was developed by D. R. N. Harger, of the Indiana University Medical School."