Propaganda and Allah

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 20 11:16:14 UTC 2001

To JL:

Douglas G. Wilson

>>It turns out that Buddha is a saint in both
>>the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, under the name of "Josephat".
>
>A very interesting point of which I had been ignorant. It seems that Jesus
>has been adopted in similar altered form in Asian "pantheons". It has been
>claimed that the 'Buddhist' figure Kwan-yin (Guan Yin, Kannon) is not only
>analogous to but actually partly derived from the Christian Mary.

My response to this one:

[snippage of stuff I mostly don't disagree with, but would state
differently]

You write:
>It turns out that Buddha is a saint in both the Catholic and Orthodox
>Churches, under the name of "Josephat".)

I have trouble with this statement.

Are you referring to the Ruthenian Rite martyr (c. 1580-12 Nov. 1623), the
one with the Basilica dedicated to him in Milwaukee?
http://www.thebasilica.org/index.asp