Props

Fri Oct 26 15:07:46 UTC 2001

I can date it to at least 1969, Columbus, Ohio. Three
African-American kids were riding in my car in what was to them an
unfamilair white neighborhood. A funny looking old geezer (white) was
walking along the street. (Before anyone take offense, I am a funny
looking old white geezer, so I get to say it in solidarity with all
FLOWGs). One of the kids said "Look at the funny looking old nigger!"
The other kids looked and laughed and did not react at all to the
usage. When I asked them about it later, they said they often used
the word to refer to a strange or outlandish person (among other
uses), regardless of race. When the same kid used it around his
mother later (in a related sense, although the context did not mkake
it as clear that race was not involved) she shot him a nasty look,
since she obviously did not want the word used in my presence. The
pronunciation was, by the way, r-full.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston