seeking AAVE/SAE matched guise speech samples

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 6 16:46:29 UTC 2001

In a message dated 9/6/01 10:14:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
t.irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU writes:

> The question, which is part of a court
>  case, involves the issue of whether there is something such as "sounding
>  black" on the phone.

I must be missing something here.  I thought it was common knowledge that
there exists a dialect (multiple dialects?) of AAVE that differs phonetically
from General American, Eastern, and Southern as well as in grammar and
vocabulary.  Such dialect(s) is as easily recognizable over a telephone as it
is in person.

             Jim Landau