seeking AAVE/SAE matched guise speech samples

Thu Sep 6 17:04:23 UTC 2001

What's missing is the differnce between "sounding" and "being." I
would be happy to attest to the African-Americaness of even a short
taped sample, but I would not guarantee the African-Americaness of
the speaker.

This, however (even in legal commentary given in the program), seems
to miss the point. Were callers prejudiced against on the basis of
the hearer's ineterpretation of their race (based, obviously, on
linguistic cues alone).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston