Here's How! (1927, 1928) & Here's How Again! (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 15 23:49:09 UTC 2001

HERE'S HOW!
New and Revised Edition
By Judge Jr. (Norman Anthony--ed.)
The John Day Company, NY
1927, 1928

   Could it be possible that I missed this book?  I found it while looking up another of Anthony's books.
   FYI: there was Prohibition at this time.

The Apple Jackrabbit...11
Everything But--...12
The White Lily...13
The Dodge Special...14
Little Willie...15
The Mamie Taylor...16 (OED should have this drink--ed.)
The White Cargo...17
The Royal Smile...18
The Nose Dive...19
The Magnolia Blossom...20
The Judgette...21
The Grape Vine...22
Mint Fizz...23
The Golden Gate...24
Oh, Henry!...25
Judge, Jr...26
Silver Fizz...27
Silver Stallion...28
The Los Angeles...29
Polo Cocktail...30
The Corn Popper...31
The Mule's Hind Leg...32
The Nevada...33
Cornell Special...34
The Philadelphia Scotchman...35
The French '75...36
The Cubano...37
De Riguer...38
Alexander's Sister...39
Bacardi Punch...40
Bacardi Cocktail...41
The Wop...42
Barbary Coast...43
Brandy Gump...44
The Hurricane...45
The Earthquake...46
The Frankenjack...47
The Swiss Itch...48
Old Reliables...49
The Crow...51
Louisiana Fizz...52
Champagne Cocktail...53
The Lion...54
Whiskey Sour...55
A Hot Toddy...56
The Cowboy...57
An Egg Nog...58
The Dacqueri Cocktail...59
Jack Rose Cocktail...60
Attaboy Cocktail...61
The Mint Julep...62

Pg. 12:
_Everything but--_
   THIS little drink is christened thusly because it contains everything but the kitchen stove!
   1/4 Scotch;
   1/4 Gordon water;
   1/4 lemon juice;
   1/4 orange juice;
   1 egg;
   1 teaspoonful of Apricot brandy;
   powdered sugar.

Pg. 32:
_The Mule's hind leg_ (See archives for Moscow Mule--ed.)
   THIS title is not an exaggeration--we know--we tried it!
   1/5 Gordon water;
   1/5 benedictine;
   1/5 Applejack;
   1/5 Apricot brandy;
   1/5 maple syrup.

Pg. 47:
_The frankenjack_
   INVENTED by the two proprietors of a very, very well-known Speakeasy in New York City.  (Jack & Charlie's 21?--ed.)
   1/3 Gordon water;
   1/3 French vermouth;
   1/6 apricot brandy;
   1/6 Cointreau.

HERE'S HOW AGAIN!
By Judge Jr.
The John Day Company, NY
1929

   APPLEJACK DRINKS
Eve's Apple...13
The Pump...14
The Parachute...15
The Tunney...16
   APPLEJACK AND BRANDY DRINKS
The Swan Song...17
The Lightning Bug...18
   BACARDI DRINKS
Southern Honeysuckle...19
The Red Flag...20
The South Sea...21
Leave Me With a Smile...22
   BRANDY DRINKS
The Upanattem...23
The Yegg...24
The Monte Cristo...25
The Cloven Hoof...26
The Zowie...27
Side Car...28
The Million Dollar Cocktail...29
   GIN DRINKS
The Kummel Ye Faithful...30
The Bronx Express...31
The Transatlantic Flyer...32
The Gray Dawn...33
The Barney...34
The Ciro...35
The Hooperdooper...36
The Peacherino...37
Peach Dream...38
The Straight Eight...39
The Spearmint...40
The Oliver Twist...41
The Razzberry...42
The Highbrook...43
The Green-eyed Monster...44
   GIN-BACARDI DRINKS
Palm Beach Cocktail...45
   RYE DRINKS
The Revolving Door...46
Whiskey Sour...47
Ward Eight...48
The Sunkist...49
The Snake-in-the-grass...50
   SCOTCH DRINKS
The Prodigal...51
The Thistle...52
Hell's Belles...53
The Beautifier...54
The Black Eye...55
   MISCELLANEOUS
The Kitchen Stove...56
The Mussolini...57
The Alps...58
The Norman...59
The Sweet Mama...60
Hot Chocolate!...61
The Tomato Cocktail...62

("SIDECAR" SIDEBAR:  I had to request this microfilm twice before I got it--about three hours later.  Then, the library closed.  I'll be out of NYC, so I can't immediately copy the entries.  However, it appears to antedate "Sidecar."  John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK has: "The bar's owner, Harry MacElhone, claimed the drink was concocted in 1931 for a customer who always arrived in a motocycle sidecar.  But the sidecar appears in several places in Carl Van Vechten's 1931 short story collection, _Parties_."  Sidecar supposedly was invented during WWI--ed.)