Flying Tigers magazine (1960s)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 16 00:31:39 UTC 2001

(ADDENDUM TO LAST POST:  OED has "Sidecar" in 1928.)

    The NYPL gave me just reel two of ANNUAL PICTORIAL BULLETIN, 14TH AIR FORCE ASSOCIATION, FLYING TIGERS.  It's an annual.

1962
Pg. 9:  A "B.S. Artist" at work.

1963
Pg. 2:  ...singing:
"We never falter, we never fail,
We sober up on wood alcohol..."

1963
Pg. 6:  In the upper left, Col. Robert L. "God is My Co-Pilot" Scott, Jr., of the 23rd Fighter Group, one of our earliest and greatest aces, helps S/Sgt. R. Fuller and Sgt. J. Teague load his guns in preparation for Scott's final Jap hunt before leaving for the United States in January, 1943.

1963
Pg. 7:  But they also served who acted as "honey-dippers" (left center)--one of the less glamorous occupations in the Far East--and female grain carrier (lower left).

1963
Pg. 13:  Milk and Cookie Bar.

1963
Pg. 20:  ...soup-and-fish-clad oilman Gene Ledeker (22 BS)(his motto: It taked but little toil--to get a goil--if you strike oil!)...

1964
Pg. 9:  ...such platitudes as "You Can't Win 'Em All", "There's One in Every Crowd" and "Even Babe Ruth Struck Out Over 1000 Times."

1964
Pg. 20:  ...a card over the bar that reads, "If This Sign is Blurred You Either Need Stronger Glasses or Weaker Drinks"...

1965
Pg. 7:  Not to be outdone by these refinements of an ancient civilization, a Pentagon-based masochist offered his own version of the "Chinese Torture treatment, lower left.  Captioned "Men of Gen. Chennault's 14th USAF eagerly await chance to buy beer at first ration in China"...

1968
Pg. 10:  Next we see, complete with moat, the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, where the first few exotic days and nights were spent (in Tokyo, that is, not the Palace) and, lastly, the grounds around the Chinsanzo Restaurant, where our first Japanese meal together--a Mongolian Barbecue--was voraciously consumed with surprisingly favorable results.