Yo

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Sep 19 20:15:13 UTC 2001

From:    Ed Keer <edkeer at YAHOO.COM>

: I remember Yo being a stereotypical Philadelphia slang
: term in the 80s, before I ever heard it in AAVE.
: Think Rocky: "Yo! Adrienne..."  I'm sure there were
: some articles on this in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"Yo" is used, in my experience as a grad student at Penn, by Philadelphians
as a greeting as an in-group marker.

I don't know if it's still the case, but the Philadelphia _Daily_news_'s
style/daybreak/whatever section at least used to be titled the "Yo! Philly!"
section.

David Bowie                                       Department of English
Assistant Professor                            Brigham Young University
db.list at pmpkn.net                                   http://pmpkn.net/lx
   The opinions stated here are not necessarily those of my employer