More Frenchified?

Fri Sep 21 14:31:04 UTC 2001

larry,

These are very fruitful grounds for research, but, unfortunately, we
usually cite only isolated examples across a wide range of phenomena.
For a notable exception to that complaint see Charles Boberg's
excellent treatment of "foreign a" in English (British and US) in the
Journal of Language and Social Psychology (Vol. 18, No. 1, March
1999). Even that excellent article leaves some interesting unanswered
questions - /paekIstaen, /pakIstan/, and /pakIstaen/ but (so far as I
can hear) no /paekIstan/. Odd that pronunciation of "loan words" in
English usually gets only a prescriptivist glance when, for example,
the study of loan-word phonology in, say, Japanese is a major
linguistic subindustry. Of course, lexicographers are on the lookout
for the emerging (or emerged) "speech community" standards for such
items, but that does not satisfy the linguistic curiosity about the
phonological processes at work.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston