Second Banana (Barry Buchanan, 1930s)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 26 06:05:33 UTC 2001

(PERSONAL:  I've got to work tomorrow, and then it's Yom Kippur.  Don't expect six postings of antedates each day for the next two days.)

   I checked my papers for Barry Buchanan's unpublished ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE ENTERTAINMENT WORLD.  What a find.  It was written in the 1930s.
   From the BURLESQUE note cards:

second banana
   Obsolete term for a second comic.  See, first comic.

second comedian
   Same as, second comic.

second comic
   An obsolete term for the comedian of second importance in a show.  Such a performer worked with the first comedian, or alone, as the occasion demanded.