Virus Activity

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Sep 28 18:45:58 UTC 2001

Apparently someone has come up with a virus that can be spread through a
listserv name. Just a caution to anyone on any listserv, including ADS-L.

        Rudy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:05:08 -0700
From: Anne Vail <avail at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
To: COH_SUPPORT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Virus Activity from FSO

There is currently an email floating around campus which came from
eforms at listserv.arizona.edu which contains an executable attachment
named provided.com. We've also seen it under introduce.com or
introduce.exe.
The file name is actually irrelevant.

Don't open it. As always, be wary of unsolicited email and attachments
and don't blanketly trust anyone. If you must trust, VERIFY before
taking what might be a dangerous leap.

Several users in our College have been affected. Since the release from
the eforms listserv, FSO is taking steps to begin filtering their
listserv messages to strip potential and real virus threats, as this
one.

>From FSO:
In an effort to avoid future issues like what happened this morning in
regards to virii spreading through our listservs, we have implemented
two new rules on all of our listservs:

 - strip all attachments
 - strip HTML mail

We are in the process of applying these new rules to all of the
listservs held under FSO today.

If you believe you have been affected, please shut down your computer
and call us at 349-3644.

Thank you,

COH Support Systems