Pasta (1756)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 7 00:33:56 UTC 2002

TRAVELS THROUGH GERMANY, BOHEMIA, HUNGARY, SWITZERLAND, ITALY AND LORRAIN
by Johann George Keyssler (Also, "Keysler"--ed.)
London: G. Keith
1756 (The book has this date; NYPL's catnyp has two printings and lists both the first and second as 1760--ed.)

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 180:
   In another part of _Italy_ there is no need of this precaution, it being sufficient to advise the inn-keeper that you intend to eat, _al pasta_, which at dinner is thirty _Piedmont_...

(This is another early "pasta"," for use in studying this important cuisine item.  This book--which gave me "nostalgia"--is a four-volume monster that I've had on reserve for a while now and will need many hours to go through properly--ed.)