late in the day

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Apr 11 16:51:57 UTC 2002

--On Thursday, April 11, 2002 12:30 pm -0400 Mark A Mandel
<mam at THEWORLD.COM> wrote:

> This came in over the transom. What can we tell the inquirer?

I got the same inquiry and responded thusly:

I don't know that 'late in the day' is particularly British (it might
be--one could try searching in archives of US newspapers to see if it
occurs much), but other things that Americans would say are things like
'this late in the game...'.  On the other hand 'at the end of the day' is
much more prevalent in British than in American English, in my experience.

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844