Flan (1828)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 18 04:59:38 UTC 2002

THE FRENCH COOK
by Louis Eustache Ude
Philadelphia: Carey, Lea, and Carey
1828
New York: Arco Publishing Company, Inc.
1978

   OED has 1846 for "flan."  Flan might be in the earlier edition of this book (1813).
   I did NOT see "flan" in any of the Spanish materials that I've recently gone through.  However, when I first saw Spain in the 1980s, I remember that flan was ALWAYS served.  It was a tour group joke.  ("What's on the dessert menu?  I hope they have flan!")

Pg. 395:
   _No. 3.--Flan des Pommes._
   IF you would make a very good and eatable one, have first of all a mould, either in tin or copper-tin, which should be of the usual form of the dishes served for the _entremets_: make a paste as follows: put a pound of fine flour, sifted, on the paste table, make a hole in the middle, and break therein two whole eggs; add a small bit of butter (say two ounces,) a little sugar, a very little salt, and a drop of water; mix these ingredients very quickly, and spread them on the table about the size of the mould.  Butter the mould very well, and put in the paste, and fill the inside of the paste with some apple marmalade, well reduced, but not quite full.  Put this in an oven of moderate heat; when the paste is sufficiently done to be taken out of the mould, put the _flan_ again, in a baking dish, into the oven, to do the paste thoroughly.  It would be better still if you were to bake the paste before you put the apple marmalade into it; when you have garnished first with apples, you cover the whole with some apricot marmalade, and put them (Pg. 396--ed.) again into the oven to finish.  Sometimes you should glaze with sugar and the salamander.

   _No. 4.--Flan de Peche._
   Make the paste as above directed; and having boiled the peaches in a little syrup, put them in the _flan_; when the paste is nearly done, reduce the syrup to pour over the fruit, but take care that the ("Pie"?--illegible--ed.) is well done.  These _flans_ are delightful when they are done to perfection.  The crust is particularly delicious to eat with the fruit, when it is well done, before the fruit is added.