Puttanesca; Pasta (1840); Dell's not for dunking

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Apr 18 18:26:43 UTC 2002

        Westlaw's earliest puttanesca quote is from a review of Geranio in Alexandria, Va., on July 5, 1984:

        >>For appetizers, split an order of pasta -- especially
penne alla puttanesca, our favorite dish -- simple, small
tubes tossed in a light, intense tomato sauce with shreds of
tuna, black olives and capers. So good it's seductive. <<

        See also this quote from the March 14, 1985 Chicago Tribune:

        >>Italian cooking teacher Maria Battaglia of Evanston explained
the origin of spaghetti alla puttanesca (prostitute style), a dish
of diverse ingredients, which she demonstrated: "It is said, when
the ladies of the evening got home, they were very tired and cooked
with whatever they had in their cupboards."<<

John Baker