More weird sportscasterese ("More than enough")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 19 03:37:04 UTC 2002

On ESPN SportsCenter, the anchor just uttered something I've heard
many times and could never quite figure out.  Recapping the Mets' 1-0
victory over the (soon to be ex-)Expos, he described the play in
which Piazza scored Alomar with the lone run of the game, giving the
Mets a 1-0 lead--"more than enough for Al Leiter tonight".  I've
heard this on many similar occasions, but clearly the intended sense
can only be "just enough", not "more than enough"--there's no way to
score half a run.  Very strange.

larry