Brodwurst, Kraut, Schnapps (1791-1792)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 22 00:53:12 UTC 2002

TRAVELS INTO DIFFERENT PARTS OF EUROPE
IN THE YEARS 1791 AND 1792
by John Owen
in two volumes
London: T. Cadell Jun. and W. Davies
1796

   OED got 15 citations from this book, yet still missed stuff like "schnapps."  Why bother to read travel books if you're not going to record the food & drink terms that you see?
   Some of the letters are dated and some are not; all date from 1791-1792.

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 334:  A dish of macaroni was our first service.  This was followed by a saucer containing some scraped parmesan.  A plate was then introduced with some morsels of pigs liver, and a second adorned with omelettes and garlick.  Three small birds, and a handsome desert, closed this _petit souper_...

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 277:  ...to see the public tables surrounded with a mixed society of princes and roturiers, aristocrats and jacobins, cavaliers and sans culottes--men in short, whose politics were as opposite as their conditions...
(OED has 1790s for "jacobins" and "sans culottes"--ed.)

Pg. 347:  He descended hastily from the step of the carriage, closed the door, and wished us a _bon voyage_.
(OED has 1680, then 1825 for "bon voyage"--ed.)

Pg. 424:  We were warned by the boatman, when we stood over a village called Krein, that we were about to encounter what the Germans call _Strudels_, and what are in fact whirlpools.

Pg. 442:  Upon seeing me seated, the _Keller_, as he is called, brought me a very long bill of fare, containing an immense number of articles.
(OED has "Keller" meaning "beer-cellar," from the mid-1900s--ed.)

Pg. 443:  For this I was prepared, and asked for _Rhindfleish_, or _boulli_. (...) Among the hard names repeated, hearing that of _Saur-kraut_, I arrested him in his progress, and demanded _kraut_.  But unfortunately _kraut_ signifies only the vegetable, and is never eaten alone.  He therefore wished to know what I would eat with it.  Thus provoked, I caught at the first name he mentioned, and hastily demanded _brodwurst_, a term of which I could not guess the meaning, but which proved in the end to be a sausage.
(OED has "kraut" from 1855, when it was coined by George Eliot.  OED has no mention of "brodwurst," but "bratwurst" is first cited overly late, in 1911--ed.)

Pg. 455:  They were dancing the _Valtz_ with a rapidity and violence which I should have conceived unattainable.
(OED has 1781, then 1796 for "waltz."  The "waltz" is described here over two pages--ed.)

Pg. 486:  This term is "Andencken" or, as they vulgarly use it, "Angettencken"--and indicates a _souvenir_, or token of remembrance.
(OED has 1782, then 1803 for this "souvenir"--ed.)

Pg. 565:  "Cook them up a pot of warm beer, and throw an egg and _schnaps_* into it; and give them a morsel of cold meat, if you have it..."
*A glass of Geneva.
(OED has 1818 for "schnapps"--ed.)