Ipsiphobic? Not quite.

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Mon Apr 22 01:05:16 UTC 2002

I need a word, and I'm not above inventing one. I'm writing a piece about
protest movements where participants often seem to reject their own
culture, religion, class, etc., and embrace anything "diverse." Example -
at yesterday's pro-Palestinian rally white, middle-class Americans
readily accepted a high level of religious cant in speeches from Muslims
but would probably be turned off if someone representing their parents'
religion were to do the same thing.

Xenophobic is having negative reactions to people who are different. What
would be the opposite, rejection to one's own culture? Ipsiphobic is a
the closest I can come, but that would be rejection of one's self, not of
one's native culture.

Classicists -- please give me a prefix.