Exclusionary terms [was: Christian]

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Apr 24 01:35:21 UTC 2002

This discussion has been very exhaustive and (to me) quite enlightening.

Personally, I consider u & lc "protestant," "catholic"
(post-enlightenment, as above), "foreigner," "gentile," "heathen" (if
anyone still uses such words routinely, i.e., without the context being
defined), "liberal," "native speaker," "outsider," "pagan," and such
terms somewhat exclusionary. I don't like to be referred to as a
"gentile" (by Jewish speakers, of course, but I do have many Jewish
friends; you can also check my latest dictionaries, _The Penguin
Canadian Dict._, 1990, and _The User's® Webster_, 2000).

Most dictionaries define the noun "Gentile/gentile" as "a person who is
not Jewish" (New Oxf. Amer. Dict.) or, more elaborately, "One who is not
of the Jewish faith or is of a non-Jewish nation" (Amer. Her. Dict.).
For me as a lexicographer, that does not do justice to the actual
meaning which, as far as possible, should be based on usage including
connotations. A dictionary definition also has to be plain to users who
are not familiar with the word they are looking up - sounds logical, I
hope. So I opted for "an outsider, as among Jews and Mormons: _a Jew
married to a gentile_" (2000). How do you like that? Not that I claim to
have the last word.

And here is the latest "native speaker" from The New Oxf. Amer. Dict.:
"a person who has spoken the language in question from earliest
childhood: _native speakers of English._" The phrase must seem
undefinable and metaphysical to the dictionaries that leave it alone,
but it's in heavy use among linguists, anthropologists, et. al. (as on
this List). I got my first taste of it in 1963 when registering at the
Univ. of Mich. grad school of linguistics. Someone shouted to us
registrants: "All native speakers to this side, all the others to the
other side, please."  After a semester, I checked out and immigrated to
Canada!

My lexicographer friend the late David Guralnik had this to say in a
discussion of  "native speaker": "I am inclined to think that many, if
not most, of the adherents of 'native intuition' are motivated by
unconscious, or even conscious, notions that are elitist, perhaps
racist." I think that's exclusionary par excellence.

Thomas Paikeday
Lexicography, Inc.
Brampton, Ont. L6R 1Z3
Phone: 905-790-7076 (9 am to 9 pm); fax: 905-790-9168