Reuben & Rachel

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 1 00:42:55 UTC 2002

At 3:37 PM -0700 7/31/02, A. Maberry wrote:
>FWIW, I checked Recipesource.com for various cole slaw recipes and found
>84, only one of which included ketchup/catsup (Cajun coleslaw--a Justin
>Wilson recipe which also has Worchestershire sauce, Louisiana hot sauce,
>onions and green bell peppers) and none that included chopped pickle or
>pickle relish. There are a number that omit the mayonnaise dressing in
>favor of various vinaigrettes.
>
>I'm not sure I'd care much for coleslaw on corned-beef, but it's delicious
>on a pulled-pork sandwich, at least in my opinion.
>
>allen
>maberry at u.washington.edu

Sounds good to me, and we can always have the cole slaw on the side
with the Rachel--that way the rye bread is less likely to get soggy
if you're not eating it right away.  If there's enough Louisiana hot
sauce in the cole slaw, I might overcome my objections to the
ketchup, but then why do you need the ketchup at all?   The chopped
pickle that someone erringly prepared for the cole slaw could always
be added to the potato salad.  As for pickle relish, it's too sweet;
let's junk it, and go for a dill on the side.  (These are matters on
which we can be righteously prescriptive!)

Larry