why buy the cow?

Thu Aug 1 18:03:37 UTC 2002

I hope the good lexicographers don't hold me responsible for the "underpaid
and overworked" part--I would gladly pay double what I pay for dictionaries
if it meant that those who toil in the fields of lexicography could get what
they are worth. But then, I'm not one of those in a position of power here.

The good Judge Popik, of course--in total violation of the basic tenets of
the capitalist system in which we all toil--does his lexicographical work for
free; and those who are "in a position of power" are quite willing to exploit
him for nothing. I for one would be delighted to see him be paid for what he
is worth, which, lexicographically speaking, is apparently a pretty penny.

Perhaps someone would care to do a study of the history of the aphorism, "Why
buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?"--or, as Samuel Johnson may
have said, "Why buy the cow if you can get lots of great free milk -- even if
you have to put up with an occasional irritating mooooo?"