Dingbats (was: Re: Reuben & Rachel)

Millie Webb millie-webb at CHARTER.NET
Fri Aug 9 04:04:27 UTC 2002

> >On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Peter A. McGraw wrote:
> >
> >>To my surprise I found "Wingdings" in my list of fonts in Word for the
Mac
> >>when I checked just now, and not "Dingbats."  But in an earlier version
> >
> >I've still got both - on at least one Mac.
> >
> >Bethany
>
> On my version of Word 98, there's Zapf Dingbats and Chancery (the
> italics font), and then there are Wingdings, Wingdings 2, and
> Wingdings 3, all different.  (The #3 is mostly arrows.)
>
> larry

You all have the "new-fangled" machines, don'tcha?  My employer only
recently brought in a computer newer than an Apple IISE, or whatever they
were called (oh so long ago).  After all, he "paid several thousand dollars
for those when they were new," and he "isn't going to buy all new stuff
now".  Tja.  Of course, one can buy a really super-powerful PC (or Mac,
even) for under $1,000 now, and one could then get their desktop publishing
work done much more quickly and with far fewer headaches. But hey, what do I
know?  After all, I am a PC person, not a Macite.

Anyway, in our ancient version of PageMaker (it is so old, it is called
Aldus PageMaker, for the company that USED to make it--anyone else remember
them?), the only fonts with any special characters at all are Symbols (all
the Greek letters, mainly), and a few simple "bullet" marks and starts in
Dingbat.  And even those do not print right.

At least it allows me the chance to revel in the ancient computer
terminology of my "youth", right?  :-)   Our dingbats are not even called
"Zapf Dingbats", just Dingbats 1, and Dingbats 2.  -- Millie