"Kosher" and THE OCCIDENT (Re: Minhag (1843))

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 5 23:11:31 UTC 2002

   Thanks!  I didn't realize it was online!
   The NYPL has THE OCCIDENT AND AMERICAN JEWISH ADVOCATE from 1843-1869.
This online site has it from 1843-1849 only, so it's not entirely online by
any means.
   It hasn't been scanned online, such as MOA periodicals are.  It appears
that a person typed it in.  Page numbers are lacking.
   I gave "kosher" a try.  OED's first citation is 1851.
   The online version has an October 1844 hit with the title "Lard Oil and
Kosher Certification of Olive Oil."  However, when I checked the original,
"kosher" was neither in the article nor in the title (which is simply "Lard
Oil").
   I haven't yet checked the November 1846 and February 1847 "kosher" hits
against the originals, but I'll do that later this week.