"Kosher" and THE OCCIDENT (Re: Minhag (1843))

James McIntosh jemcinto at IDIRECT.CA
Tue Aug 6 12:10:44 UTC 2002

Bapopik at AOL.COM

At 07:11 PM 8/5/02 EDT, you wrote:

(snip)
>   The NYPL has THE OCCIDENT AND AMERICAN JEWISH ADVOCATE from 1843-1869.
>This online site has it from 1843-1849 only, so it's not entirely online by
>any means.
(snip)

>Page numbers are lacking.
(snip)

This makes reference to the original more difficult.

>   The online version has an October 1844 hit with the title "Lard Oil and
>Kosher Certification of Olive Oil."  However, when I checked the original,
>"kosher" was neither in the article nor in the title (which is simply "Lard
>Oil").
(snip)

By doing this, they are rewriting history, as in the novel 1984.

By making the relating of the online version to the original difficult (by
eliminating all page numbers), they are also making it harder to know the
real history.

If they later state that having the text online makes retention of the
original unnecessary or redundant, they may move the original into archival
warehousing, or may even destroy it.

We may benefit by writing a letter to the administration to express our
interest in accessing the original paper version.

Jim McIntosh <jemcinto at idirect.ca>