names for "C" schools"

Judy Yeh jyeh at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Aug 7 18:48:36 UTC 2002

At 10:41 AM 8/7/02 -0400, Laurence Horn wrote:
>These are subject to change.  When I attended the University of
>Rochester in the 1960's it was always "the U of R", and anyone
>abbreviating differently was corrected.  Visiting there this summer I
>was surprised to hear the tour guide and information session leader
>referring to "UR".

A friend of mine was a grad student at the University of Rochester in
the early 1990’s, and he always refers to it as “(the) U of R.” Maybe
“UR” is just one person’s idiosyncrasy, although, if a tour
guide/representative of the admissions office uses it, perhaps that
indicates what the school wants to be called these days.

Judy Yeh