FW: UC whatever

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Aug 10 11:28:44 UTC 2002

More on this thread, from my experience:

In Ohio, Ohio State Univ is "Ohio State" or "OSU", though there are
sweatshirts and such for OSU that do or once did just say "Ohio" (one
famously worn by Jesse Owens).

Ohio Univ is called "OU".  I have never heard it called simply "Ohio", but
maybe alums and locals do?

In Michigan, the Univ of M is called "Michigan".  Michigan State Univ is
called "Michigan State" or "MSU".  Please, Michigan alums, chime in on
whether it's "U of M" or "UM" to the locals.

In Massachusetts, for Univ of Mass., it's "U Mass", with the "Mass" sounding
just like the thing that Roman Catholics do.  Often, the intonation is such
that the stress is stronger on the "U", and the combination becomes a single
compound, as if it was a single word (i.e., "YOU-mass").

In Amherst, Mass. (home of Univ of Mass, Amherst College, and Hampshire
College), the name of the town and the college are pronounced locally with
the "h" silent, and with the slightest of glottal stops in its place.
That's the local pron shibboleth.  Another shibboleth of the area (W Mass.)
is "Holyoke", as in the name of the mountain, the college named for the
mountain (which is in South Hadley, Mass.), and the city nearby, named for
the mountain, but sans "Mt."  The locals say the name as 2 syllables, with
strong stress on the first and lighter on the second.  It sounds something
like "WHOLE yolk".  For some speakers, the medial slips away, and it sounds
more like "HO-yoke".

Enough for now, but I think there is a reference book here.

Frank Abate